CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Great Powers Game Debrief



I was U.S.A., with my partner Joel. Powerful countries such as, Great Britain, U.S.A., Russia had advantages at the start. We had these advantages, because we were stronger countries to begin with, and we were also larger. My empire was a good one that had a strong army and navy at the start. It was probably more important to buy industries and colonies so that we could buy large amounts of armies in the end. But, instead of using that method, my empire grew slowly and steadily. We did very well with backing up our allies, unless they’ve crossed us or betrayed us. We should have bought more industries and colonies at the beginning to help improve our power. About half of our alliances were good and trustful. We were allies TWICE with Great Britain, but they crossed us twice and declared war against us. Some allies such as Italy, France, and Japan, definitely could be trusted.

I learned quite a few things about conflict from this simulation. First of all, you can’t trust anyone but your self/country. Some of the countries we were allies with, completely turned on us. One of them declared war against us, so in the last year my country, the U.S.A. declared war on them and five other countries joined us. Only one country joined Great Britain. After the simulation was over, I realized how allies could suddenly become enemies. Secondly, I learned that conflict could make a country greedy for more power. For example, when my empire lost the war declared upon us, the winners asked for TOO much. They went almost over the top. Lastly, conflict could also lead to new alliances. When a country declared war against Russia, we weren’t on Russia’s side, but later on Russia and the U.S.A. we were great allies and fought against Great Britain. In the end, we didn’t win, but I was quite proud of our country.

www.worldwar1.com

3 comments:

Harriet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arjun said...

I really liked your blog posting on The Great Powers game. Your article was clear, well written,long, and to the point. It showed and described what happened in the game and summarized it very well. Good Job!

Harriet said...

Farah, I disagree with you saying that Russia had the greatest advantage because did, and I also disagree with you saying that you didn't win! you did :)