CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Feedback


One way that we could be sure that this book is trustful, is to actually go to the Library of Congress and look at the actual quotes that Julius Lester has written in his book. But we wouldn’t need to. Isn’t the Library of Congress a trustable source? Why would there be lies in an important library? We can also trust him, because he has used many peoples’ quotes or diary entries and have stuck the ones with the same subject together. He has also added facts about slavery which are true, if we researched it.

I am also sure this book was truthful, because, in 5th grade, I had to research Harriet Tubman. She was a woman born into slavery, and helped slaves escape when she was older. When I researched this woman, I also read about the conditions slaves were in. So, I had another source to assure that this book is truthful. In the book, it says, “The selling of the slaves was inhuman itself, but many slave owners did not even have the decency to tell a slave that he was going to be sold.” (pg. 42 To Be A Slave.) I know this is true, because when I was researching Harriet Tubman, one of her family members was sold without even knowing it.

One reason why I might NOT trust it, is because of this quote, "Even more rare was the occasion when the auction block became a source of joy." (pg. 51 To Be A Slave)How could the auction block possibly cause joy? Would you be happy if your only child was being sold or if you were being separated from your best friends? I certainly would not. Even though I find this quote very questionable, but I understand that it MIGHT lead to joy.

Overall, this book is trustful, and is pretty good.



Lester, Julius. To Be a Slave. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1968.

www.jnpa.com

0 comments: