CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

DIARY OF EDNA PURVIANCE (1895 – 1958)

Dear Diary,

I’m so incredibly tired! I wonder how Charlie is. I remember when I first met him at St. Francis Hotel. Mr. Chaplin asked me if I would like to act in pictures with him. I laughed at the idea, but agreed to try it. I guess he took me because I had nothing to unlearn and he could teach me in his own way. I want to tell you that I suffered untold agonies. Eyes seemed to be everywhere. I was simply frightened to death. But he had unlimited patience in directing me and teaching me. I also remember him saying that he liked my serious and sad look. Apparently, he had no idea I was still recovering from a bad romance.

I remember when I went along with one of his jokes and bet he couldn’t hypnotize me. It was hilarious! I pretended to be hypnotized, and he was very impressed. It’s amazing, looking back then and looking now. Now that I realize it, I’ve been Charlie’s leading lady for more than thirty-five films! I remember my last film with him. Was it “A Woman Of Paris”? Oh yes, that was it. That was my first leading role, hopefully helping me find a new career as a more serious actress. Sadly, that didn’t work.

Now I’m sitting here in my rocking chair, writing in my dairy. I wish my John was here. I wish he didn’t die. I visit his tombstone everyday. Always staring at the letters, “JOHN (JACK) SQUIRE BELOVED HUSBAND.” He was such a brave pilot, flying those planes, and risking so much. My years with John were the happiest years of my life. I loved going across the U.S. with him. He was the love of my life. Why did he die? Now I’m a widow, I only fear I’m nearing my end too. The doctor told me that I have cancer. I’m frightened to death. My life seems to have been one extraordinary adventure.

Always,
Edna.

0 comments: